For the love of all things vintage, clever, designed, and/or delicious, we celebrate objects and rituals in all their glory!

7.21.2008

L.A. Discoveries

This is from June (heh, just a little delayed) when I went to L.A. for a weekend of fun hanging out with my dear friend, Noal, who had recently moved there from Seattle. He graciously put me up and took me all over LA. I never had much chance to spend a lot of time doing sightseeing and just walking around in SoCal, so it was totally fun to do that for a change! There's so much character and so many things that were uniquely LA. This photo mosaic is just some of what captured while walking around different areas.
Here's some caption on where I took the photos (left to right in rows)
1. Mosaic tiled office building by Santa Monica Blvd.
2. Painted steps on some apt. building by Noal's apt. on S. Coronado St.
3. Painted wall at Grauman's Theater in Hollywood
4. Painted wall on some apt. building on Wilshire Blvd & S. Coronado St
5. Ceiling in the Getty Villa
6. Mosaic tiled floor at the Getty Villa
7. Painted wall at Grauman's Theater in Hollywood (I saw Jesus there..he's the real deal!)
8. Signage in the jewelery district of downtown L.A.
9. Succulents by a beach house on Venice Beach (my dream house)

That was the one thing I really enjoyed. (more photos here) Noticing the variety of patterns and colors incorporated on almost every building, shops, signs, walls, and houses....pretty much everywhere!! This is something that Seattle really lacks I think...it's just different I suppose. I'm not whinnying...but I just wish there's more decorative elements around Seattle! Most buildings are just...BLAH! Like the weather pretty much....BLEH!

Also Noal started documenting his little discoveries since he moved to LA while walking around, and he has captured even better stuff!!
Like this awesome awesome chair he found in Chinatown...of all places! The colors, patterns, and the chair itself.... everything about is just FAB-ulous!!
Neat collection of paper umbrella arrangements in Chinatown
Colorful ornate tiled steps in Pasadena
After the trip, I definitely can see LA in a new light. I realized that there's actually a lot of great things about the city beyond all the shinny nice cars, polluted air, high traffic jams, high-lighted hair, pregnant Hollywood stars, orange colored fake n' baked skin, roller blades and short-shorts...LA is so much more than that!
It's also this...6" platform shoes made with bamboo. It's eco-friendly!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those shoes make my ankles ache just looking that them!

kay w. said...

hello! was just introduced to the ladies & gents blog and love it - keep up the excellent work!

i too recently moved to la from seattle; i'm still taking my time exploring the city but glad to see you were able to take in at least some of the little details that make la so much more than just the hollywood frenzy!

Jackie said...

So funny I put it on my blog thanks for the laugh
http://lilygraceonline.blogspot.com/